Skip to main content

Exome or Whole Genome Sequencing?

This is one of the most discussed topics especially in Clinical Genomics! Affordability, accuracy, feasibility and of course time consumption - based on these factor mostly, which sequencing technology is more suitable for clinics? Whole Exome Sequencing or Whole Genome Sequencing? (WGS or WES, WGS vs WES) So here's my 2 cents on this discussion! When it comes to DNA sequencing there has always been a raging debate over the choice of Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) or Whole Exome Sequencing (WXS) for routine use. Whole genome sequencing (WGS), as the name suggests is the process of obtaining the entire genome. In most cases however, this is far from practical and only 95-97% of the genome is covered because it is technically difficult to sequence certain regions of the genome (high GC content, large repeat regions, centromeres, telomeres, etc.) with existing technology. “It’s very fair to say the human genome was never fully sequenced,”  - Craig Venter “The human genome ha...

How do Dogs get rid of hiccups so quickly while most humans seem to struggle?

My dog is laying here on the couch and I noticed she just contracted hiccups and within 3 hiccups was back to normal again. Its not the first time I noticed, just the first time I noticed while browsing Quora.

Humans will go to the ends of the earth trying every homeopathic cure known or suggested and can struggle for a considerable length of time to rid themselves of them. 


The answer is in our anatomy.. our epiglottis is perpendicular to the axis of the trachea and is almost vertical due to our upright pose while it is slightly tilted in case of dogs!


Venkatesh Chellappa (BVSc. &AH, MSc.)

Comments

  1. Thanks for every other informative site. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information. do dogs have hiccups

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exome or Whole Genome Sequencing?

This is one of the most discussed topics especially in Clinical Genomics! Affordability, accuracy, feasibility and of course time consumption - based on these factor mostly, which sequencing technology is more suitable for clinics? Whole Exome Sequencing or Whole Genome Sequencing? (WGS or WES, WGS vs WES) So here's my 2 cents on this discussion! When it comes to DNA sequencing there has always been a raging debate over the choice of Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) or Whole Exome Sequencing (WXS) for routine use. Whole genome sequencing (WGS), as the name suggests is the process of obtaining the entire genome. In most cases however, this is far from practical and only 95-97% of the genome is covered because it is technically difficult to sequence certain regions of the genome (high GC content, large repeat regions, centromeres, telomeres, etc.) with existing technology. “It’s very fair to say the human genome was never fully sequenced,”  - Craig Venter “The human genome ha...

Installing Sleuth for RNA-seq analysis

So, I tried installing Sleuth along with Kallisto for RNA-seq data analysis. Getting Kallisto to work was no big deal but Sleuth required a couple of dependencies even before installation. Following instructions on github and on other online tutorials which seemed pretty straightforward as in any R-Bioconductor based installation, I expected this to go smooth. Much to my surprise, it wasn't a cake walk! Sleuth requires us to install 'devtools' and 'rhdf5' from within biocLite in R (I think we could google a little about what these packages do). I had a fresh 64-bit BioLinux-8 installation which is basically a Linux Ubuntu 14.04 based OS, comes bundled with many preconfigured bioinformatics packages including a R version 3.2.0. Initially running biocLite('rhdf5') didn't throw any error and went all the way with just a couple of minor version warnings but biocLite('devtools') threw numerous errors and just wouldn't work. After a few...